UniUD is a young dynamic university whose mission is to promote higher education by imparting knowledge and generating new ideas at the cutting edge of society. The key of our success at both the national and international level is the quality and enthusiasm of all of its components.
Founded in 1978, the University of Udine has a considerable European and International profile. It is appreciated for its student-oriented dimension and approach of the University and city itself, situated in Friuli Venezia Giulia, a pleasant region of the North-East of Italy, at the centre of Europe.
Currently (academic year 2020/2021), the University offers 39 first cycle degree courses and 38 second cycle degree courses. In addition, the University offers postgraduate teaching and research, with a broad and diverse range of training courses, specialization schools (20, mostly in medicine), university master (16) and doctorate (9) degrees. It has about 15.414 students and 646 professors and researchers. Scientific research is performed and coordinated by 8 Departments and supported by central administrative offices.
The University incorporates the latest IT-technology in its day to day work process and in international co-operation.
At the University you will find a staff of dedicated, experienced and inspirational teachers who will challenge you to achieve your best and you will find great accommodation, facilities, student support and social life. UNIUD campuses are all spacious, with plenty of gardens and green areas.
There is accommodation at student halls of residence, or if you prefer you can rent a flat in town.
The University is actively engaged in a wide range of research activities, not only locally but also in co-operation with other universities and research institutes at both national and international level and in the years it became a centre of excellence in a considerable number of fields:
- PE- Physics and Engineering: Automation, Manufacturing technologies, Mechatronics, Product Innovation, Mechanical design, Mechanics of structures and materials, Energy and mechanical systems, Mechanical industrial plants, Nano-electronics, Biosensors, Management engineering, Computer engineering and networks, Fluid machines and energy conversion systems, Computational Thermo-Fluid Dynamics, Telecommunication, Signal and image processing, Geotechnical and Hydraulic engineering, Geology, Transportation engineering, Chemical processes, Materials and chemical technologies, Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Computer graphics, Artificial vision, Physics, Theoretical computer science, Artificial intelligence, Software engineering and digital security, Internet of things, Human-Machine Interface, Architecture and landscape engineering.
- SSH- Social Sciences and Humanities: Cultures and cultural production, Literature, Visual and performing arts, Music, Cultural and comparative studies, Religious studies, Art history, Economics, Finance and Management, Archaeology, History and memory, Environmental studies, Social geography, Urban and regional studies, Sociology, Social anthropology, Legal Studies, Communication, Social studies of science and technology, Cognition, Psychology, Linguistics, Philosophy and Education, Philology and Paleography, Demography, Statistics.
- LS- Life Sciences: Food technology, Biology and microbiology of food, Chemistry, Genomics, Molecular biology and genetics, Agronomy, Ecology, Biotechnologies, Aquaculture, Plant pathology and physiology, Plant nutrition, Plant-soil interactions, Animal sciences, Crop and environmental sciences, Viticulture and enology, Brewery, Molecular oncology, Diagnostics and oncology therapy, Inflammatory diseases, Innovative surgery methodologies, Precision medicine, Advanced diagnostics, Physiology and physiopathology, Public health and welfare.
Moreover, the University has also been involved in many funded research projects in the recent years; the research projects design is supported by the Research and Technology Transfer Unit of the University and by the research support offices at the Departments. A multidisciplinary team of experts is also available to support all levels of projects preparation and management.
Whilst the development of scientific knowledge and higher education remains its fundamental mission, the University lays particular emphasis on transferring technology and innovative knowledge within the local economic milieu and society in general. The University supports researchers in building innovative start ups orientated to the business use of research findings and to the development of new products and services. The patents portfolio includes the prominent results of the research carried out in several fields, agriculture and medicine in particular.
The University is also involved in public engagement activities and it cooperates with regional public institutions and research centers.
Since 2016 the University obtained the HR Excellence in Research Award from the European Commission.
Project funding (2017-2020):
H2020: 4,2 M Euro
Erasmus+ KA103: 3.296.944€
Erasmus+ Consortia Traineeship: 1.267.315€
N. of EU Projects (2017-2020):
- Horizon 2020: 20 (of which 7 MSCA)
- Other international projects: 31
- European territorial cooperation: 17
Research outputs 2020:
- N° of surveyed publications in the catalog of scientific production: 2.234
- N° of patents: 125, of wich active 58
- Spin-off: 5
- Start-up: 2
N° of scientific meetings&public events (2020): 293
N° of laboratories: 314
Research infrastructures / laboratories: advanced Agricultural Company with the Autonomous Region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia, it contributes to the management of the University-Hospital of Santa Maria della Misericordia.
The following research infrastructures could be highlighted:
Metrofood- RI: this paneuropean IR has been classified “emerging project” in the Roadmap ESFRI 2016 and the consortium is working to obtain the status “active” in the next Roadmap ESFRI
Labs of LabVillage: Uniud Lab Village funded by Fondazione Friuli and Friuli Venezia Giulia Autonomous Region is an area where are localised technological laboratories and R&D centers of UNIUD and companies to design together research and education at different levels.
Currently are active the following laboratories:
LINEA - Laboratory of energetic and environmental engineering
LATE - Laboratory of environment and territory
LATERIS - Laboratory of architecture, technical building, research, innovation, sustainability
PROMAS - Official laboratory of trial on materials and structures
LABAS - LABoratorio di Analisi Sensoriale (Laboratory of sensory analysis)
AI2S - Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Systems (with Area Science Park, Confindustria Udine, Beantech)
LAMA - Laboratory of advanced mechatronics, with UNITS and SISSA
In 2021 the following laboratories will be activated:
SMACT3 - Social, Mobile, Analytics, Cloud, Internet of Things
LARA - Laboratory of agrifood research
Furthermore there are some laboratories with companies:
Digimet Laboratory (with Danieli Automation SpA)
Datamind Lab (with Datamind Srl)
Libraries and study rooms: 7 libraries and 28 study rooms
No. of student residences: 3 in Udine, 1 in Pordenone, 1 in Gemona del Friuli (UD)
Conference rooms: 5 in Udine, 2 in Pordenone, 2 in Gorizia
Canteens / Coffee bar: 9 canteens / 2 cofee bar
Other facilities: CUS – University Sports Center
Scolarships and/or training grants
The international mobility of students of the University of Udine is supported through various types of contributions: Erasmus + Study grants, Erasmus + Internship grants, scholarships for thesis research abroad, scholarships for inter-university international agreements.
PhD programmes activated in 2020/21
- Food and human health
- Biomedical and biotechnological sciences
- Agricultural science and biotechnology
- Computing and Mathematical and Physical Sciences
- Industrial and information engineering
- Energy and environmental engineering sciences
- Managerial and actuarial sciences
- Legal sciences
- Linguistic and literary studies
- History of art, cinema, audiovisual media and music
Masters and specialization courses activated 2020/21
- “EMBA - EXECUTIVE MASTER IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION”
- “Digital Marketing”
- “Human resource management and labour organization”
- “Public Administration”
- “Erasmus Mundus Master of Arts in Euroculture”
- “Intelligence and ICT”
- “Metallurgical Engineering”
- “Meditation and Neuroscience”
- “Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Skills, tools, operations between change and complexity”
- “Digital Philosophy. Managing the transformation”
- “Partnership and Shamanism”
- “Expert in Educational planning in multiethnic schools and disadvantaged communities”
- “Italian as a second language and intercultural studies”
- “Project Management”
- “Gambling, Internet, Substances and other Addictions. Studies and treatment.”
- “Organisational development for financial services managers and local authority auditors”.
Summer / winter school and training and updating courses:
- “Methods of estimating and predicting food shelf life”
- “Organisational development for financial services managers and local authority auditors”
- Gemona del Friuli
The University of Udine offers:
- assistance for obtaining visa and residence permits;
- informative video tutorials;
- administrative support for registration at our institution;
- housing facilities (each year we stipulate agreements with several Real Estate Agencies that agree to offer a tailored service to foreign students)
- languages courses;
- cultural services;
- laboratories, libraries, ICT labs and other university facilities;
- services for disabled students;
- any other additional service and facility needed.
Furthermore, UniUD is also partner of the Welcome Office Friuli Venezia Giulia, a one-stop shop for assistance and information to international students and researchers on mobility-related issues, hosting the Welcome Office Infopoint of Udine.
The University has co-operation agreements under the framework of mobility and project co-operation in Erasmus+, Erasmus Mundus and has more than 500 partner institutions in 70 countries, among which United States of America, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, South America. Every year an average of 500 students from the University study and participate in job-training abroad; over 200 international mobility students study and train at UniUD. The University International Office provides up-to-date services for international students and staff in mobility, in cooperation with regional, national and international organizations and partners.
Chancellor: Roberto Pinton
General Manager: Massimo Di Silverio
Palazzo Florio, Via Palladio 8 - 33100 Udine (Italy)
tel. +39 0432 556226
telefono: +39 0432 556387/6285
Social media / social network: