The University of Trieste, Italy is a highly reputed institution with a mission to:
- educate citizens and train professionals to the highest standards;
- create and disseminate knowledge;
- engage with communities to address the major issues of our time.
Founded in 1924, the University of Trieste is a medium-sized university and may be considered a comprehensive university. It currently features 10 Departments. Besides the main campus, located in Trieste, there are three detached campuses located in Gorizia, Pordenone, and Portogruaro (Venice). Teaching quality at the University of Trieste goes at the same pace as the quality of research, and this explains the reason why, over the years, the University of Trieste has been strengthening its role as Research University by investing on PhDs, reinforcing collaborations with national and international research institutions, and hiring scholars and researchers of high scientific level. Studying and researching in Trieste means working in very close contact with a system of scientific and higher education institutions, this is possible thanks to the integration of UniTS into the Trieste system, which combines research and innovation.
Areas of Research:
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING (Engineering, Architecture, Physics, Mathematics, Earth Sciences, Chemistry and Pharmacy);
- LIFE SCIENCES (Biology, Psychology, Medical sciences, Surgery and Health Sciences),
- SOCIAL SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES (Economics, Business Administration, Statistics, Humanities, Political and Social Sciences, Law, Languages, Interpreting and Translation).
Departments: Ten departments covering most academic areas:
- Engineering and Architecture
- Mathematics and Earth Sciences
- Chemistry and Pharmacy
- Life Sciences
- Medical, Surgery and Health Sciences
- Economics, Business Administration, Statistics
- Political and Social Sciences
- Law and Languages, Interpreting and Translation.
- Placed 222 among world universities - Best Global Universities Ranking 2018;
- 100 in Europe and 6th in the U.S. News - Best Global Universities Ranking 2018;
- With 46 scholars it is highly ranked in the Top Italian Scientists 2018;
- It ranks among the best 80 European Universities and among the best 150 world Universities U-Multirank European Ranking.
- At national level, UniTS ranks 1st in the Linguistic Group group and 2nd in the Political Sciences group and Scientific Group (Navigation Sciences, Physics, Informatics, Mathematics); (Ranking made by Censis 2017/18).
- The University of Trieste ranks 2nd among medium-sized Italian universities on the basis of services and structures, and 4th for internationalization.
Project Funding (2015-2018):
Total amount for european projects: € 19.070.509
N° EU Projects (2015-2018): 88
- H2020: 24
- InterReg: 16
- Erasmus+: 4
- POR-FESR: 35
- Other: 9
Research Outputs (2018):
- N° of scientific production: 2.656
- N° of patents: 91
- N° ospin-off: 18
N° of scientific meetings&public events (2018): 178
Sqm 151.286 / Headquarters: Piazzale Europa 1 (Trieste); 3 branch locations: Gorizia, Pordenone and Portogruaro (Venezia).
N° of Laboratories: 39 Scientific Laboratories and 32 Educational Laboratories
Publishing House: 1 (EUT - Edizioni Università di Trieste)
Libraries and study rooms: 9 Libraries, 30 study rooms
N° of Students’ Residences: 1
Canteen / Coffe bar: 3 / 6
N° of conference hall: 1 Conference Center at Polo Didattico of Gorizia
Other facilities: Student residence ex Ospedale Militare
Every year several grants for international mobility are offered to students of UniTS wishing to attend lectures and take exams or prepare their theses through the ERASMUS+ Programmes and other International Exchange Programmes offered by the University.
Following courses are completely taught in English:
- Economia Internazionale e Mercati Finanziari/International Economics and Financial Markets: curriculum Economics and Financial Markets)
- Economia e Gestione Aziendale/ Business Administration and Management: curriculum: Business and Management)
- Production Engineering and Management
- Data Science and scientific computing (new)
- Ecology of global changes (partially taught in English)
- Medical Biotechnology (partially taught in English)
- Genomics (partially taught in English)
- Diplomacy and International Cooperation (partially taught in English)
PhD courses in English
- Earth Science and Fluid Mechanics
- Molecular Biomedicine
- Environmental Life Science
3 : Gorizia, Pordenone and Portogruaro
The University of Trieste takes care of International Researchers, Postdocs, Lecturers, Professors and students who plan to do research activities or to study at the University.
There is a dedicated Welcome Office for professors and researchers which aims to help finding a comfortable way to solve all crucial issues linked to the transfer to Trieste. The Office supports also the internal Departments for all procedures concerning visa, host agreement and permit of stay.
Also International students, both degree seeking and mobility students, and PhDs are very much welcome at the University of Trieste and they may find their point of contact respectively at the International Mobility Office and the PhD Office. UniTS is also partner of the Welcome Office Friuli Venezia Giulia, a one-stop-shop for assistance and information to international students and researchers on mobility-related issues, such as entry and residence procedures, formalities to be completed once in Italy (Registry Office, tax identification code, etc.), health coverage (National Health System, private insurance), living (accommodation), socializing and leisure, events and opportunities.
The University is involved in various student and staff exchange programmes with universities in the EU, and collaborates with several universities from Eastern Europe and other non-EU countries. It also participates in many research projects at national and international level.
Programmes are usually taught in Italian but English programmes courses are available too.
UniTS is full partner in two ERASMUS Mundus Projects with India and South East Asia. There is an increasing number of Bilateral Student Exchange Agreements (SEA) signed with individual universities in the USA, Australia, Vietnam, etc. UniTS is also a member of the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) which manages exchanges with about 200 universities in the USA and further 160 in the world and has over 100 international cultural and scientific agreements for academic staff mobility and exchanges with Universities worldwide. Moreover, mobility between University and Industry is implemented in a number of spin-off companies founded by staff members. Given its geo-political position, Trieste has always been a cultural crossroad, and UniTS carries on this tradition by promoting internationalization through research, education as well as student and teacher mobility.
- Integrated into the Trieste system of research and innovation
- Selected degree Programmes in English
- Majority of PhD Programmes in English
- Internationalization (international exchange and research partnerships with about 165 universities around the world; student mobility for credit exchange, traineeships and internships with the 28 EU countries and with non-EU countries participating in the ERASMUS+ Programme; about 459 bilateral agreements and 35 non-ERASMUS agreements for incoming and outgoing student and staff mobility in about all disciplines.