Creation of a “Scientific network of excellence” in the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region among universities, public research bodies and international research bodies
Creation of a “Scientific network of excellence” in the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region among universities, public research bodies and international research bodies to reinforce the capacity for action, attractiveness and competitiveness at a national and international level of the institutions
Consolidation of partnerships and initiatives of international cooperation to benefit the SiS FVG with the support of the appropriate offices of the MAECI and the networks of scientific experts located across the territory
It is a platform of knowledge and expertise on the “Blue Economy,” hosted by OGS and aimed at promoting a sustainable economic development and a responsible blue growth in the area of the Mediterranean Sea and of the Black Sea, in line with the EU strategy.
The Platform aims to:
- promote an advanced summer training school in Trieste to provide courses once a year in cooperation with SiS FVG institutions (Summer School in Sustainable Blue Growth) involving researchers, innovators, scientists and managers of Institutions, Universities and Research Centres from the countries of the Mediterranean and Black Sea area;
- promote an advanced international Master on Blue Economy with the University of Trieste and other SiS FVG partners, thus contributing to the creation of new professional figures and more job opportunities in the Blue sector;
- collaborate within international exchange programmes enhancing the atractiveness of the institution, of SiS FVG and the Country system
- develop training and mobility activities to encourage the strengthening of the abilities of the Blue Growth sectors by working together in the framework of international projects. In particular, the DEEP BLUE project coordinated by OGS in cooperation with partners from Tunisia and Spain (University of Sfax, Polytechnic University of Madrid and Advanced Institute of Fishery and Aquaculture Technologies);
- promote international cooperation among Mediterranean and Black Sea countries through the exchange of knowledge, education, entrepreneurship and employability.
National Institute of Oceanography and Experimental Geophysics - OGS
Ministry of University and Research and funds from the Institute
The OGS Initiative on Blue Growth is strongly supported by the 5+5 Dialogue Countries, coordinated by Italy, to promote advanced education, innovation, international mobility and access to the research infrastructures for a sustainable growth in the marine and maritime sectors and with the goal of creating new jobs and increase products and services offered by the Italian industry, especially in this region, in the marine and maritime sector.
Summer School (June 2021) online edition:
The school saw the participation of 36 students including researchers, young professionals and new graduates.
IV Edition of “Advanced Master in Sustainable Blue Growth” - Online edition (60 university credits), in cooperation with the University of Trieste. Participation of 25 students.
Workshop: "Towards the States General of the Blue Economy in the Mediterranean: a roadmap between Italy and Tunisia" (september 2021)
Workshop: “OC-NET Ocean cities: challenges & solutions”- parallel session on Culture (Capacity building, TEK and Ocean Literacy) (september 2021) organized by Ocean Cities Network
3rd WestMED Stakeholder Conference (Rome, November 2021): presentation of the Blue Skills project, winner of the Best Project Awards during the first edition of the WestMED Project Awards
2022 expected activities:
Summer School in Sustainable Blue Economy in the Euro-Mediterranean Region –(July 2022). Target 25 participants.
V Edition of the Advanced Master in Sustainable Blue Growth , in cooperation with the University of Trieste. Target 23 participants.
Organization of the Ministerial Conference of the 5+5 Dialogue in Nouakchott, Mauritania
Advanced Training for Trainers on Technologies for fisheries and Aquaculture, organised in cooperation with Higher Institute of Fishing Technologies and Aquaculture.
Secretariat - 5+5 Dialogue for Research, Innovation and Higher Education in the Western Mediterranean. The main activity set out is organisation of the Ministerial Conference in May in Nouakchott, Mauritania, the member currently with the presidency, while the co-presidency is held by Italy. Plans for publication of the Nouakchott declaration (2022) and the new two-year annual plan (2022–2024).
2023 expected activities:
Summer School in Sustainable Blue Economy in the Euro-Mediterranean Region
VI Edition of the Advanced Master in Sustainable Blue Growth , in cooperation with the University of Trieste.
Secretariat - 5+5 Dialogue for Research, Innovation and Higher Education in the Western Mediterranean. The current year will be dedicated to coordination of the activities conducted by the Member States. In the role of Secretary and appointed member for Italy, OGS will coordinate and support organisation of the groups of experts on a half-yearly basis (Group of Senior Officials).