For more than 50 years, the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) has promoted scientific expertise in the developing world.
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam, ICTP seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers.
ICTP's mission is to:
- Foster the growth of advanced studies and research in physical and mathematical sciences, especially in support of excellence in developing countries.
- Develop high-level scientific programs keeping in mind the needs of developing countries, and provide an international forum of scientific contact for scientists from all countries.
- Conduct research at the highest international standards and maintain a conducive environment of scientific inquiry for the entire ICTP community.
ICTP supports research groups in the following areas:
- High Energy, Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics
- Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics (including renewable energy)
- Earth System Physics
- Applied Physics
- Quantitative Life Sciences
Other ICTP programs include its intense, year-long Postgraduate Diploma Program that prepares young scientists from developing countries for graduate level studies; and the Associates Program, which supports active scientists from developing countries to maintain long-term, formal contact with the Centre.
ICTP is funded largely through a generous grant from the Italian government, along with base financial support from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). It is a UNESCO Category 1 institute.
Project Funding (2017-2020): €1,149,746
N° EU Projects (2017-2020):
- 5 H2020 Projects (including Marie Sklodowska Curie fellowship)
Research Outputs (2020):
N° of scientific production: 452 Scientific Paper
N° of scientific meetings&public events (2020):
- 21 training activities
- 7 training activities in developing countries
- 126 Seminars
- 11 ICTP-OEA scientific meetings in developing countries
- Stand at Esof, EuroScience Open Forum Trieste, 2-6 September 2020
- Trieste Mini Maker Faire (public event organized by ICTP)
- Trieste Next (participation at external event)
Each year, ICTP organizes more than 50 international conferences and workshops. Over the past five decades, scientists from 188 countries have made more than 150,000 visits to ICTP to discuss the latest findings in their fields.
On average, more than 5.000 scientists from about 140 countries pass through ICTP for research and education opportunities every year.
Research at ICTP has contributed, directly or indirectly, to four Nobel Prizes.
Scientific outreach in developing countries includes:
- 14 Schools and Workshops
- 4 Partner Institutes in: Brazil, Mexico, Rwanda, China.
- 13 ICTP-OEA Affiliated Centres
- 9 ICTP-OEA Network Hubs
- 54 ICTP-OEA Scientific Meetings
- Leonardo Building: 8365 m2
- Enrico Fermi Building: 3790 m2
- Multidisciplinary Laboratory: 712 m2
- Adriatico Guest House (2900 m2)
- Galileo Guest House (1000 m2)
N° of Laboratories: 4
- Leonardo Building Lab
- Denardo Informatics Lab
- Marconi wireless technology Lab
N° of Research Infrastructures: 1, Linux Cluster system for scientific computing with a nominal peak performance of almost 80TeraFlop/s. The system is equipped with about 3000 dual-socket compute nodes of different kind of the Intel product family and 4 NVIDIA GPUs accelerators. The compute nodes are partially interconnected with InfiniBand network and partially with the Intel Omni-Path network. The system provides a storage capacity of approximately 1.5Petabyte of storage to users.
N° of libraries and study rooms:
- ICTP Marie Curie Library (1000 m2)
- 70 study spaces/seats
N° of canteen/coffe bar/guesthouse/ student residence:
- 2 canteens
- 3 bars
- Adriatico Guest House (Capacity: more than 150 visitors)
- Galileo Guesthouse (Capacity: more than 70 visitors)
N° of conference hall:
- 8 at Leonardo Building
- 5 at Adriatico Guest House
- 1 at Galileo Guest House
- Shuttle Service within the campus and to SISSA
- Medical Service for minor ailments/emergency assistance and medical advice
- Prayer Room
- Children's play area
Institutions hosted in the campus:
- Consorzio per la Fisica Trieste (CONS)
- Dipartimento di Fisica (DF)
- Fondazione Internazione Trieste per il Progresso e la Libertà delle Scienze (FIT)
- InterAcademy Panel on International Issues (IAP)
- Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
- The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS)
- Training in Italian Laboratories (TRIL) Fellowships
- ICTP/IAEA Sandwich Training Educational Programme
- Postdoctoral Fellowships in physics and mathematics
- Joint International ICTP/SISSA PhD Programme in Physics and Mathematics
- Joint PhD Programme, Earth Science and Fluid Mechanics
- Joint Master of Advanced Studies in Medical Physics (MMP) with the University of Trieste
- Joint Master in High Performance Computing (HPC) with SISSA
- Joint International Master, Physics of Complex Systems with SISSA, Politecnico di Torino, Universities Pierre & Marie Curie (Paris 6), Paris Diderot (Paris 7), Paris-Sud (Paris 11) and the École Normale Supérieure
Summer and Winter schools:
- Winter College on Optics: Quantum Photonics and Information, 10-21 February 2020
- Joint QLS-CMSP Virtual Summer Retreat on Heat, Water, Noise, and Life, 29-31 July 2020
- Summer School on Superstring Theory and Related Topics, 24 August-4 September 2020
- The CODATA-RDA Research Data Science Summer School, 31 August-11 September 2020
- Winter School on Quantitative Systems Biology: Quantitative Approaches in Ecosystem Ecology, 30 November-17 December 2020
- Virtual Winter School on Strongly Correlated Quantum Matter, 30 November-18 December 2020
Memorandum of Understanding for Scientists in Exile signed on 17/09/2018 among 11 international and Italian institutions.
- Visa information/assistance in obtaining entry visas to Italy; permit of stay; Health insurance.
- pre-arrival comuting information
- Financial transactions
- Travel arrangements
- Info Point for ICTP services and basic information on Trieste and surroundings
- Mail Office and photo services for badges and other ID documents; ICTP souvenir shop
ICTP is a patner of
100 G Network, Ambient Assisted Living” - AAL European Programme, Agreement between the FVG Autonomous Region and the Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the EUROPEAN COMMISSION Trieste City of Science; APRE FVG Committee, Support of Networking Activities, Welcome Office FVG; "The Mobility of Knowledge" Annual Survey, Trieste City of Science 2020; EURAXESS
- The ICTP South American Institute for Fundamental Research, ICTP SAIFR, Brazil
- The East African Institute of Fundamental Research (EAIFR), Rwanda
- The ICTP-Asia Pacific, created in collaboration with the University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Plans for partner institute in Mexico: the Meso-American Institute for Sciences
Agreements: 107 agreements with international scientific institutions
OEA Affiliated Centres and Networks
11 Affiliated Centres in: Africa: Cameroon, Egypt, Morocco, Rwanda, Tunisia; Asia: Armenia, Pakistan,South Korea; Europe: Belarus, Romania; Latin America: Argentina.
7 Networks in: Asia: India, Iran, Nepal; Europe: Croatia, Romania; Latin America: Colombia, Cuba