Creation of a “Scientific network of excellence” in the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region among universities, public research bodies and international research bodies to reinforce the capacity for action, attractiveness and competitiveness at a national and international level of the institutions
Creation and enhancement of integrated research infrastructures, to reinforce the capacity for action of the scientific institutions and to optimise the use of the infrastructures themselves, making them available also to private companies, and creation of shared services for research or the coordination of existing services
In order to enhance the scientific and technological structures and infrastructures of utmost importance present in the Park and in the regional territory, Area Science Park, in collaboration with the other research bodies, aims to generate research, development and innovation projects to increase the networking and coordination of the different scientific realities and, in the context of specific projects, to propose itself as a supplier of equipped spaces and laboratories equipped with the latest generation of instrumentation for applied and industrial research - Technological Platforms - "places" in which infrastructures (laboratories, advanced instrumentation, buildings in which they are based) and skills give rise to specialized functions, capable of providing know-how and services aimed at carrying out highly qualified applied and industrial research for a whole sector of reference.
The Technological Platforms are characterized by an organizational model that provides for different ways of access depending on the purpose of the planned activities. The research projects will follow a peer-review process, while the service and industrial research activities will have at their disposal a channel to subject, without interruption, technical problems or innovation needs to be solved through instrumentation and know-how available (Open Lab mode).
The strategic development actions planned for the period 2019-2021 concern:
- the enhancement of the Area Science Park's Great Laboratories' offer, through instrumentation integrations or upgrades aimed at expanding the application sectors and the portfolio of research services usable by companies;
- the extension and diversification of the offer of skills and advanced instrumentation available to companies through the networking and/or the creation of different Technological Platforms (Advanced Materials, Structural Biology, Genomics and Epigenomics, Advanced Graphene-based Technologies);
- the application of the Open Lab methodology to the Technological Platforms, with the aim of guaranteeing an inclusive access to the equipment and to the scientific-technological know-how of excellence of the Network, favouring and balancing both the interaction among different scientific disciplines and communities, as well as among public and private bodies.
Area Science Park, CNR, Elettra Sincrotrone Trieste and The Institute of Applied Genomics (IGA)
- Advanced Materials Platform: ongoing;
- Structural Biology Platform: I semester 2019;
- Genomics and Epigenomics Platform: I trimester 2019.
The workability of the Advanced Materials Platform and the set-up of the Structural Biology Platform are funded by the "Open Lab - A System of Open Research Facilities" project (approx. € 1,200,000).
The Genomics and Epigenomics Platform is funded by the ARGO System (approx. € 4,000,000).
- Enhancement of the offer of the Area Science Park's Research Infrastructures;
- Enlargement of the offer of competences and equipment through the creation of “open” Platforms on the national territory;
- Development and application of an organisational scheme allowing for the access to the Platforms, favouring and balancing both the interaction among different scientific disciplines and communities, as well as among public and private bodies.
- Number of public and private bodies participant to the Platforms: at least 10;
- Number of orders/research projects with public and private users: at least 25.